Welcome to our new series on What to Drink Now. We’ll be taking a look at seasonal wines and wine trends throughout the year. Right now, a look at your best bets for Winter 2014.
According to Sharrott Winery owner Larry Sharrott, II, “Hearty foods demand hearty wines. I like dark red wines with bold flavors in the winter time.”
Red wines with firm tannins and deep fruit flavors perfectly complement winter foods like soups, stews and roasts.
Recommended Wine for Winter 2014:
Cabernet Franc – Our Cabernet Franc is cool fermented to preserve the fresh flavors of red currant and black cherry. Aged in American oak, this is a hearty wine that pairs well with meat and game dishes.
Cabernet Sauvignon – Deep cherry-red in color, our Cabernet Sauvignon exhibits aromas of black currant, eucalyptus and vanilla with bold cherry flavors. Its firm tannic structure makes it excellent for pairing with meat dishes, tomato-based sauces and dark chocolate.
Chambourcin – Our Chambourcin is a dark, rich and bold wine. Spicy with a long finish. Try this wine with sausage or duck.
Wicked – Our Port-style wine is sweet with flavors of cherry and dark chocolate. Wicked good as an after-dinner sipper. Will keep you warm on a cold winter’s night!
Find these Sharrott wines in our Tasting Room, 370 South Egg Harbor Road, Blue Anchor, NJ or at a NJ wine retailer near you.
And don’t forget about cooking with wine. Both red and white wines add layers of flavor to your favorite soups and sauces. Try this delicious, warming Tuscan Chicken Soup from the Sharrott family recipe box.
Tuscan Chicken Soup – Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups Sharrott Dry Riesling
- 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp dried Rosemary
- 1/2 cup tiny pasta shells
- 2 16 oz cans garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained
1. Heat oil. Add garlic and saute.
2. Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, wine and spices. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Cook pasta al dente in a separate pot. Puree beans and blend into soup.
4. Add pasta and stir. Add Paprika for garnish.